Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Changes...

Wow, what a month May has been! First, I had the splendid pleasure of being at W00tstock 2.1 Portland, and meeting a lot of awesome, funny, talented geeks. It was my early Mother's Day present to myself, as Mother's Day was the next day. I got to meet Wil Wheaton, Adam Savage, Paul and Storm, Molly Lewis, Hank Green, the brilliant Loading Ready Run, and more. They've actually got a site up now, and it's definitely worth checking out: http://w00tstock.net/
I couldn't believe how much it felt like finally being in a room filled with people like me. Nerds. Geeks. (I was called both while in school, with varying amounts of meanness. It used to bother me, but I tend to embrace the terms now, and actually sort of welcome them.) It was wonderful, and I really didn't even notice they'd gone over an hour over their scheduled time! I'm so glad I got to share the experience with Matt and his good friend.

Then I had my Mommy day with my little guys and went to see my mom. I got new plants for my deck (they're doing quite well now!) and had a very fast couple weeks.

And on Friday May 21, 2010, (the 30th anniversaries of the releases of both Pac-Man and The Empire Strikes Back), I married my best friend. We had a small ceremony at his brother's house, and with our families there, we finally became husband and wife. I know it seems silly to say "finally" in some ways, these things obviously don't happen overnight, but he's been different from day one. I think I realized I was in love with him on our second or third date. I felt so instantly connected to him, and it seemed obvious to me that there was no way I was going to spend another day without him in my life. And here I am, now happily married to my best friend. Our ceremony was officiated by my friend Nate, who was totally awesome and really listened to us when we said we just wanted something simple that conveyed our feelings. No "giving away the bride" or fancy dress. No tux. No flower girls, groomsmen, ring bearers, or (much to Nate's chagrin) bridesmaids. Just Nate, Matt, and me. And there's no possible way it could have been better. It was exactly what I had wanted for Matt and I. Private, surrounded by family and friends close enough to be family. The only thing that went wrong was that my mom was sick and wasn't able to make it. And as much as I would have loved to have had her there, I can understand why she stayed home. I'm glad my dad got video of everything for her. We had tons of cameras, and at least two people taking video, so I think we got that covered. We have our beautiful wedding rings, which were custom made for us and have my fingerprint on the outside of Matt's ring and his fingerprint on the outside of my ring. I'll make sure to post some stuff as soon as I get it, because silly me forgot the camera here at home. Our brothers were our witnesses and signed our marriage license after the ceremony. My brothers girlfriend made our cake, which was very yummy, and Matt's sister's boyfriend manned the barbeque to cook the meat his sister-in-law had seasoned. All of it was completely delicious, and I liked it that it was really a total family effort. The kids all seemed to have a lot of fun and got along as well as can be expected given that many of them hadn't ever met before.

So, that's my May so far. I met some geek celebrities and had a great time. Then, most importantly, I got to call my best friend by a new title: husband. I really don't think there's any possible way to make this month have gone any better so far. I know I'm rambling, but I'm sleepy dammit, and I reserve the right to not make sense should the mood strike me so.

Okay, that's really everything.

Oh, and don't forget: Don't panic, and carry a towel.
Love,
Vic

No comments:

Post a Comment