Monday, June 7, 2010

My damn hair... (a rant) And some other stuff...

Okay, so I decided to go get a haircut and change things up a bit. I liked my asyemmetrical a-line, but I decided it was time for a change. So I decided to get the haircut my dad's been telling me he thinks I should get for a while. [I wore this wig a couple years ago for Halloween, and my dad really liked the way the style looked on me, so he's been telling me he thinks I should get that same style for my actual hair. It's a short bob with these cute little Bettie Page bangs.And it did look nice on me. :)] I went to the same place I always go, and there was someone getting their hair cut almost the same way I wanted. "I'm in luck!", I thought. So I waited for the girl to have her cut finished, and seeing the way it turned out, I was encouraged that I'd be as lucky with mine. When the stylist was all finished, I explained to her that I wanted a very similar cut, but with Bettie Page bangs in the front. This stylist was what I lovingly refer to as 'a relic of a bygone age'. (She later told me she's been styling hair for 45 years). And I had to remind her WHO BETTIE PAGE WAS. I was understandably less encouraged by this, but what the hell, I was already there and I did need a haircut pretty badly. Between the stylist and I, we decided that it would be easiest to take the extra length off first, and that went fine, but then she started on the bangs. She asked how long I wanted them, which I thought was a little weird when I'd told her I was looking for Bettie Page style bangs, but I went ahead and explained it anyway. When she started cutting, it seemed like the right length, so I told her to go ahead. But she made a slight mistake and had to take a little more off than I'd really wanted. Then...my hair started to dry. When my hair dries, it tends to bounce up a little. Yeah, it's pin straight, but still, I have a little body and volume in it. Apparently, I also have a (previously undiscovered) cowlick right in the front of my hair. That made the new bangs stick up. More than normal. So, to even them out, she took a little more off the other side. When they finally looked about right, she went to work on the back of my hair. That part went pretty well, so I was thinking that the worst case scenario was that my bangs were a little short and I'd have to weigh them down with a little product. So Relic Lady "finishes" my hair and Matt and I head home so I can shower all the icky little cut hairs off and style the cut the way I wanted. I come home, take my shower, get my jammies on, and style my hair. But as it dries, I look over at Matt and ask "Is it just me, or are the bangs a little uneven?" "Um, hon, they're more than a little uneven. I'd say there's about an inch difference between each side. They're a LOT shorter on your right side than they are on your left side." "Well, FUCK. " So I went back into the bathroom to check and see how bad they really were and if if was just how I'd styled them, or if maybe I'd moved them. Nope. They were fucking slanted. And Matt was right. They were about an inch higher on my right side than on my left side. I called the salon right away and made sure Relic would be back the next morning.
So we go back the next morning, on the way to helping my brother move, so Relic can fix my damn bangs. She decided that the only way to really fix them (because she cut them too fucking short in the first damn place) was to keep them more a sharp angle from the rest of my hair (which I wanted) and to thin them out (which I definitely DID NOT want). But at least they're even now. And my hair grows fast. So eventually it'll be the haircut I actually wanted, not the one I have now, that I had to settle for.

In other news, life is pretty damn awesome. Matt continues to be the best husband on the entire planet, and I couldn't be happier. I can't imagine life without him. The kids are awesome, when they're not breaking stuff. And life here in the 'burbs is going pretty well. I promise I'm trying to write more. Not necessarily here, but I'm trying to write more. And I've been playing my guitar more lately. I'm starting to make some progress I think, and I think if I combine the two, I may actually end up writing a song before the year's out. Nothing like an amazing partner to have as a muse. Seems like everything I write lately is about him. And I'm very much okay with that.

Okay, it's bedtime now. Good night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment